The Best Moments In Reading Are When You Come Across Something- A Thought, A Feeling, A Way At Looking At Things- Which You Had Thought Special And Particular To You. And Now, Here It Is, Set Down By Someone Else, A Person You Have Never Met, Someone Who Is Even Long Dead. And It Is As If A Hand Has Come Out, And Taken Yours.

Alan Bennett

The History Boys

Monday, February 20, 2017

Author Interview with Mitchell Charles

7 Questions With Mitchell Charles 

Hi guys! As you probably know I have recently reviewed a book called Kingdom of Oceana, which is set on one of the islands in Hawaii. Today I have the pleasure of interviewing the Kingdom of Oceana’s author; Mitchell Charles.


Your book Kingdom of Oceana, centers a lot around the setting of Hawaii, where did you get your inspiration to set it there? Have you ever lived or been to Hawaii, or is it just a country you’re fascinated with?

I’ve spent a lot of time in the Hawaiian islands over the past 10 years, including living on Maui part-time for about seven years. I feel deeply connected to the land, the people, and the magnificent creatures that inhabit the waters, especially the mano (shark), kohala (humpback whale) and the honu (sea turtle).

What draws you to the young adult genre?

I have a teenage son and daughter and I enjoy reading what they read.

How much research do you do for your books?

I do a lot of research, both primary research through my travels and my underwater SCUBA adventures, and secondary research through reading books.

When did you start feeling like a real author for the first time?

When I started receiving so many favorable reviews and feedback from my readers.

What’s your writing process like? Do you use a laptop or do you prefer writing by hand? Do you prefer writing a plot or outline first, or do you just let the idea take you away?

I write on my laptop, usually starting very early in the morning before sunrise. I create an outline and character profiles before I dive into the text. However, I try to hold the plot loosely during the writing process so that story can evolve and organically follow each character’s arc.

If you could be the original author of any book ever published, who would you be? 

The Alchemist, by Paolo Coelho. It’s my favorite book!

Do you see yourself in any of the characters (or any of your traits in any of the characters) or plot? 

I think there are parts of me in both Ailani and the Kahuna. I was more like Ailani as a teenager, and I’m more like the Kahuna now, except I can’t shapeshift or move inanimate objects with my mind!


I would like to thank Mitchell Charles for the interview, and thank you so much for reading guys, and don’t forget to have a great break! 
Nina

Teen Page Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment