The Best Moments In Reading Are When You Come Across Something- A Thought, A Feeling, A Way At Looking At Things- Which You Had Thought Special And Particular To You. And Now, Here It Is, Set Down By Someone Else, A Person You Have Never Met, Someone Who Is Even Long Dead. And It Is As If A Hand Has Come Out, And Taken Yours.

Alan Bennett

The History Boys

Saturday, March 21, 2015



Divergent by Veronica Roth
Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 2nd February 2012
Format: Paperback
Genre: Dystopian/ YA /science fiction
Length: 496 pages
Buy the book (Waterstones) | Buy the book ( Book Depository)


Three flying birds...one for each member of the family I left behind. Sixteen-year-old Tris is forced to make a terrible choice. In a divided society where everyone must conform, Tris does not fit. So she ventures out alone, determined to discover where she truly belongs. Shocked by her brutal new life, Tris can trust no one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her. The hardest choice lies ahead.


I loved this book so much! It was so well written that about half way through the book I paused to write Veronica Roth into My Favourite Authors (in no particular order) list. I think that the thing I loved about Divergent so much was that it was super-realistic, since Roth described everything so well that it somehow seemed that a world like that could seriously exist. The only reason why I don't think I will give Divergent 5 stars is because I thought that some parts were slow paced.


It kind of distinctly reminded me of the Hunger Games, which was one of the reasons why I decided to read Divergent in the first place. The other reason was because all my friends had read the series and kept telling me how great it was.  When I was in London last summer, (a week after I finished the Hunger Games) I was looking for a Hunger Games similar sort of book. We of course stopped in a local Waterstones and I saw a section of the teen/tween section labeled “For Hunger Games Fans”. I stopped there and picked Divergent up and read the first five sentences. I realized it was the book I was looking for, and back at the hotel room I could not bring myself to stop reading. That is how I finished in about two or three days. However, honestly I think I could have finished sooner if some parts of the book weren’t so slow paced. So, when I was looking for something to read about a week ago, I stumbled upon it and re-read Divergent again.

I think, that part of why I liked Divergent so much was because the main character was very likeable. I wish I didn’t watch the trailer though, because it ruined some parts for me, for example the part where Four likes Tris, since in the trailer it was obvious for me. I also, liked Tris’s friends Christina and Al, and I was very disappointed when they started being mean to her. That made me dislike them a bit, towards the end of the book. I actually wished Tris would finally ditch them and be friends with Uriah and Marlene. I changed my mind about Christina but Al... I really didn't expect it of him. The author was also very good in making it clear which characters were good and bad. I very rarely changed my mind about any of the characters until the end of the book. I disliked Eric from the very beginning and I am glad I did after reading the ending. Divergent is a great book for anyone who liked the Hunger Games and likes dystopian novels. Overall I really liked Divergent and I decided to give it 4 stars, and I will definitely try to read the other books in the series.
Image result for black starImage result for black starImage result for black starImage result for black star





No comments:

Post a Comment